Tapping Into the Fountain of Youth with Dr. Loretta
She’s a renowned dermatologist, avid clinical researcher, published author, and regular on-camera expert, and now, Dr. Loretta Ciraldo’s namesake skincare line has made its debut on Scentbird. A firm believer in inspiring confidence through healthy skin for over 40 years, Dr. Loretta used her combined knowledge of dermatology, aromatherapy and potent botanical ingredients to create a range of products that help fight off signs of aging at every stage. We caught up with Dr.Loretta to talk about all things skincare — keep reading to find out about her line, and how you can protect your own complexion.
1. You’ve been an accomplished dermatologist for years — what inspired you to launch a line of your own?
Table of Contents
- 1 1. You’ve been an accomplished dermatologist for years — what inspired you to launch a line of your own?
- 2 2. What were some elements that were important for you to include in your line? Were there key issues you wanted to address with your products?
- 3 3. What was the development process like?
- 4 4. What do you think is the biggest mistake people tend to make when it comes to skincare? How can it be avoided?
- 5 5. What are three products everyone should have in regular rotation and why?
- 6 6. What’s next for your line?
On a personal level, I launched Dr. Loretta just as I turned 65. I am extremely fortunate that I feel very comfortable and confident about my own appearance, having cared for my skin all my adult life. I wanted to use my forty years of expertise to create skincare that would empower people to have confidence in their own appearance at all ages.
On a professional level, I know that it is passé to say that the sun is the only thing that ages our skin. We need to protect our skin from the external aggessers So I spent four years creating a curated line of products that would address the four factors that are aging our skin indoors and outside, 24/7.
2. What were some elements that were important for you to include in your line? Were there key issues you wanted to address with your products?
Absolutely addressing the four environmental aggressors that cause 85% of the aging changes that we attribute to growing older was the key issue I needed to address to create skincare that could help to prevent and even correct the array of aging changes we all dread. So our products shield skin from indoor and outdoor exposures to visible and UV light, climate conditions, pollution, and irritants.
3. What was the development process like?
Very comprehensive! It truly started more than four decades ago! I was fortunate to be one of the first investigators on the effects of UVA on human skin, at Harvard, back in 1975. I tested how our skin is affected by UVA. But fast forward to the 21st century and there is extensive research showing that UV accounts for only a small part of what is aging our skin. My Dr. Loretta line addresses all four of the factors aging us: Pollution, light (UV & visible), climate, and irritants.
To combine medical grade with natural ingredients, I teamed up with a naturalist, Myriam Malka, who developed The Art of Shaving. So our line is the marriage of the best of natural and medical grade ingredients.
4. What do you think is the biggest mistake people tend to make when it comes to skincare? How can it be avoided?
It’s not a mistake that can be easily corrected. Most of us don’t understand what’s in the products we put on our skin! Unfortunately, ingredient listings on skincare are a little like reading a foreign language so most of us have to rely on the marketing information we get from the manufacturers. I think that it’s best to try to understand the ingredients in products, by reading about them on their websites, social media and other sources, before committing to a regimen. And try to stick with a coordinated regimen instead of using a lot of different products. These can often counteract each other.
5. What are three products everyone should have in regular rotation and why?
A great cleanser with that will really detox skin (like our Gentle Hydrating Cleanser with an ingredient that absorbs pollution particles up to 30 times smaller than pores), a serum for its more deeply penetrating ingredients that will impact visual improvement of skin (like our Anti-Aging Repair Serum with Lilac Stem cells for rejuvenation and deeply penetrating Vitamin C), and a moisturizer with antioxidants and peptides (like our Anti-Aging Repair Moisturizer with the strongest antioxidant, Lipochroman®)!
6. What’s next for your line?
The idea of an “indoor/outdoor sunscreen”. – Stay tuned for our Urban Antioxidant SunscreenSPF 40!!
Don’t forget, members have access to all skincare, wellness, fragrance and makeup as part of any Scentbird subscription.
Follow @Scentbird on Instagram for more skincare drops
Scentbird is your digital destination for all things fragrance, skincare, makeup, wellness and more – updated monthly. Upgrade your beauty and grooming routine: trying something new every month. Starting at just 14.95/mo.